Friday, August 20, 2010

Our dog (boxer) is over 9 years old. She isn't able to clean - how can I help?

Due to physical limitations, our dog is not able to properly clean herself. She continues to develop skin rashes and infections... I'm looking for suggestions of how to help her skin so she doesn't continue to develop infections. Would baby wipes work? I've been using mild water and a cortizone treatment that we have from other skin issues - but I'm looking for suggestions of something quick and simple to help keep her comfortable.|||i use baby wipes on my boxer pup and she is 3 months old i also use them on my 3 year bichon when he get his bms stuck to his hair on his butt area the baby wipes i would still use because it helps keep the area clean and just using water does not get that area clean . the wipes are so much better|||You sound like a great pet companion and I am so happy to see that. Personally I would ask a vet what the best things to use would be.








In my personal experience I have found that skin rashes are often a result of the prevalent use of commercial kibble. My older dog gets rashes occasionally and then I feed her with vegetable pulp from my juicer--which she absolutely loves. Carrot pulp is her favorite.





I also feed some raw food as it has a lot of enzymes and micronutrients that commercial dog food doesnt have.





Good luck.|||Quick and simple sounds easy but visiting a vet will be more productive. A vet can give you something that will help with the rashes and maybe help with her physical problem too.|||did she have these allergies or rashes all her life or did she just get them in her old age. you should see a vet. he would give you special soap that is medicine and that should help your dog. and relieve her of her itchiness.|||um if she is getting skin infections its the food she is eating. stop feeding her things with wheat or corn boxers can have allergies to corn or wheat. use something like lamb and rice from petco. might want to see the vet as well make sure all is well I feed my dog lamb and rice. No dog breaks out with sores from not cleaning them self look at dogs like shelties they have to much hair its her food.. As for wipes anything that is hypo allergenic should be ok with NO Alcohol and No witch hazel. Good luck. Just so you know allergies can start up just like they do in humans as there body changes.





Someone here says raw food no not a good thing my vet has treated to many pets with food poison from raw food, like salmonella and ecoli to name a few|||Yes,baby wipes and diaper rash cream like Desitin or Aveeno (Neosporin if it looks infected) There is also a good ointment that you can get from your vet called Panalog,but it is a bit expensive for a small tube. These will help,and a little baby powder will keep her smelling good,too. And,yes dogs DO break out in rashes from not cleaning,and I highly doubt that the dog would suddenly develop a reaction to her food if she's ten years old.|||try a warm salt bath daily and dry well if there are really red sores try babys sudocream|||Boxers tend to keep pretty clean in the first place. If she is developing skin rashes/infections it is likely from her developing an allergy to something-a food ingredient, fleas, something outdoors, etc. The vet would have to test her to see if there is something she is allergic to, or if there is a different cause. She may end up needing antibiotics.

No comments:

Post a Comment