Friday, August 20, 2010

My baby has a bad diaper rash. How can I help relieve the pain?

Kind of a long story but here it goes... He is 16month old and has diahrea. The reason for the diahrea is that he has an ear infection and had to get 3 antibiotic shots. 1 Thursday and 2 friday of last week. He cannot be on oral antibiotics because he has a condition called "c-diff" so he can only get the shots. They are VERY strong and upset his gut. We change him as soon as he wets or dirties his diapers. We have tried 3 different diaper creams (use with every change , a ton of it) and I have him in cotton undies to air out his bottom. I also soaked him in a luke-warm tub w/ baking soda to neutralize the acidity of his skin. I have been alternating tylenol and ibuprofen for his ear/ bottom pain.





And STILL he is in pain and his butt is BRIGHT RED. I do not know what else to do??? Am I missing something??? ANY other tricks I should try??





Oh wait i forgot... I also have switched his milk to soy and give L. acidophilis and florastor to help the "good" bacteria in his gut return.|||My son had really bad diaper rash just recently... What i did when I changed his diaper was before putting the new one on I would use a hair dryer on cool to completely dry off his butt, after that I would put on some A%26amp;D cream... His rash went away in 2 days..|||Ask your pharmacist.....he/she is a wealth of information!|||honestly, desitin is the only thing that worked for me...not the creamy kind, the regular thick stuff. works like a charm. and a+d ointment works well too...you might want to take him back to the doc, my neice had a bright red "diaper rash" only to find out later it was a yeast infection [she was only 16 months]...good luck :]|||When my son got really bad diaper rash from his antibiotics we used Butt Paste. I worked wonders.|||I would see a doctor if i were you...|||Don't put a diaper on him at all. Put him in a warm well ventilated room on a soft absorbent blanket. You can put an absorbent pad under the blanket. Put cornstarch on his bottom and let him lay there as much as possible. If he is walking, find some cloth diapers. At night, leave his diaper off as well. Diaper rash will heal the quickest if it can breath.|||First of all, call your doctor. Until then, try Aveno Oatmeal bath which helps to dry up the rash. Also, you said you are using cotton undies, make sure they are rinsed extra well. The soap that stays on the undies can also iritate. Try to keep him off his bottom as much as possible, this might help some. It's hard when you can't do anything for them. Take my first advice though and call the doctor. Most have after hours emergency number.|||http://www.rd.com/content/relieve-diaper...


hope this link will help!!|||my son had a horrible one and I had to stop using diaper creams and just changed him often and at each changing he had airing out time(very important). I didn't use diaper wipes but just wet paper towel and tried not to rub so much. His skin is a different color where the rash used to be(i think from the diaper cream) so I am glad I stopped using it. Any time he would get another rash I would do the same thing right away and it would not last very long and wouldn't be as bad. Good luck and if it gets unbearable take him to the Dr.|||give him a bath and use regular Vaseline each time you change him.let him walk around for a few minutes with the diaper off.and last have him drink more water.My 4yr old nephew keeps rashes from acids from juice and pop.so watch what you child drinks.|||Aww, I feel bad. I never really had too hard of a time with diaper rash w/my baby. But the times that she did get it airing her out, ya know w/o a diaper or anything as much as possible, I don't know if you've tried bordeaux butt paste, I think that's the name, that stuff is real thick %26amp; it works great. my baby got a yeast infection in her tummy %26amp; when she pooped it spread to her little diaper area %26amp; that was really painful for her, so check w/ your doc too to make sure that it is a diaper rash %26amp; not a yeast infection. Does he still have diarrhea? Or is this just the aftermath?|||Just an idea, when my second son had a diaper rash that wouldn't go away, it ended up being a strep infection. My first son also had a secondary viral infection (because his immune system was already depressed from an infection and antibiotics) that manifested itself as a rash. If it hasn't gone away, you might want to ask your doctor to perform a culture to determine if it's a virus or bacterial issue. None of the diaper creams in the world can help if that's the case--just a medicinal cream.|||ok well when you change him use warm water and cotton wool not wipes as in this extreme condition they will only irritate, try leaving him with no nappy on to let air get to his bottom. also try a cream called bepanthen i use it on my son and have found it to be miraculous, my son had a bad rash, he was bleeding and the usual cream wasnt even stopping it getting worse, the health visitor recommended it and after 2 days it was clear! i dont think its available in stores in the us but the links below are sites where you can get it!|||That's good...I was going to suggest a live active culture yogurt for his gut health.Make a light paste with Baking soda and water. It will help with his comfort, gently applied to the affected area...|||Like a few other answerers, I will immediately go for the Boudreaux's Butt Paste. Silly name, I know, but it really seems to make the redness go away and the rash to clear up faster than Desitin, A%26amp;D, or even plain ol' Vaseline. For added relief, stick the tube in the fridge a few minutes before applying... not really cold, but better than room temp.





And this will sound silly, but the one and only time my 10 month old son had a horridly bad rash like what you're experiencing, I cut a hole in his diaper in the back so his anus and buttcrack could air out. I figured it'd be fine, since it would still provide protection in case he peed. Worked great! I left it on him for about an hour, then changed back to a regular diaper.





Good luck!|||When my son was teething he would get almost instant diaper rashes, sometimes to the point of slightly bleeding (i know doctors tell you that fevers and diaper rashes are not related to teething but all four of my boys did).


The only thing that worked for him was Dr Smith's Diaper Ointment mixed with a small amount of hydrocortisone cream(ask your Dr or Pharmacist what % to use). There was always a noticable difference even after the first diaper change.


You will have to ask the Pharmist for the Dr Smith's Ointment, but no prescription is needed. Also, all the other creams like Desitine and A%26amp;D always burned when I applied it but the Dr Smiths never did.|||I breastfed my son for 9 months and he always got bad diaper rash. My doctor gave me a recipe for homemade diaper rash stuff that worked really great. I can't remember the exact amounts you add but I always just mixed everything together until it looked like a paste. If I remember right it was a tablespoon of each. I loved this stuff. It works really well.





You mix together:





Mylanta or cheap version


Neosporin or other ointment


Desitin|||This may sound bizarre, but. My best friend's baby had terrible, terrible reflux and diaper rash all the time. Under her ped's instruction, she would pour mylanta over her baby's...diaper area and let it dry a little bit...and then she'd just put the diaper on as usual. And it worked!





Ask your ped, though, before doing anything like that :)|||when my son had diareah really bad his butt got sore as well, my pharmacist told me to mix aquaphor with mylanta...it worked wonders...also the original desitin in the purple box has 40% zinc oxide, which is higher than all the other ones including the expensive ones like triple paste. I put it on him before he goes to bed and he has not had a diaper rash since i started using it. good luck.|||I hear ya, sister. We had a terrible bout with diaper rash when my daughter had to take strong antibiotic shots. A combination of things worked for her: patting dry after changing the soiled diapers, letting her go "free" for a while after changing diapers (be sure to put something on the floor like a sheet/mat/towels), dabbing antacid liquid (like Maalox) on her bottom, using Boudreaux's Butt Paste, and using a little Nystatin cream on the red bumps for a little associated yeast infection that came on. These were all suggested by her pediatrician's office, so by-golly, we used them all. I thought it seemed funny to dab the Maalox on her little bottom at first. But it worked! Best of luck to you and your sweet boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment